Tuesday 17 June 2014

A taste of thai

I've been somewhat restricted in what I can eat because my dentist wants me to eat "soft foods" to help with jaw issues. On Valentine's Day, Matt and I had a low-key evening and ordered thai. As always, I wanted Pad Thai, but was also tempted by a red curry dish. So, we ordered both! We both agreed that the curry was pretty much amazing. The vegetables were soft enough that I barely had to chew them, and the flavours were amazing. Now it's all that I want to eat!

Last night I came home from the gym and didn't think I had enough of the veggies called for to make the curry myself. I decided to substitute a few things and this is what I got:

Red Thai Curry Chicken & Vegetables



Your Shopping List:


1 Tbsp sesame oil
1/2 Tbsp grated ginger
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium red pepper, chopped
1 small onion, diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced 
1 medium zucchini
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp red curry paste
1/3 tsp coriander
1 tsp fish sauce
pepper, to taste



What to do with it:

  1. Heat sesame oil in a large deep pan or work over medium heat
  2. Add garlic and ginger to the pan and stir for 30 seconds
  3. Add chicken to the pan and fry, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes (or until chicken is cooked on the outside)
  4. Mix in onion and cook for 2 minutes, stirring as needed
  5. Add remaining veggies to the mixture and cook for 5 or so minutes
  6. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, red curry paste and a bit of coconut milk
  7. Mix in the cornstarch concoction and the remaining coconut milk to the pan
  8. Add fish sauce, coriander and pepper
  9. Stir well, and simmer for 5-10 minutes (if you want your veggies soft, cook for longer)
  10. Ensure that the chicken is cooked before serving
  11. Serve with jasmine rice or rice noodles
  12. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment