This is one of my favourite recipes because it's fairly versatile. I've made this sauce countless times (occasionally without all of the ingredients) and have never been disappointed. If you don't have a grill, you can make it in the oven instead - I've done this when I run out of propane!
Double-time Barbecued Chicken
Inspired by "Triple Play Barbecued Chicken" from Weber's Way to Grill
Your Shopping list:
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup ketchup
½ cup lemon-lime soda
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup packed golden brown sugar
2 Tbsp dijon mustard
What to do with it:
- Prepare your grill for both direct and indirect cooking over medium heat
- Cook oil, onion and garlic for about 10 minutes, or until golden over medium heat in a medium saucepan
- Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients and bring to a boil
- Stirring often, reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the rub ingredients and coat the chicken pieces evenly
- Place chicken on the grill, skin side down, over direct medium heat
- Grill for 8-10 minutes, with the lid closed as much as possible, turning occasionally
- Move to indirect heat for an additional 25 minutes
- Brush chicken with the sauce and grill over direct heat for approximately 10 minutes. Continue turning and brushing the chicken until juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone
- Heat remaining sauce so that it is safe to serve alongside the chicken and your favourite salad!