This is a perfect healthy dish for a cool night.
Creole Shrimp Soup with QuinoaInspired by Marian C. Hanna's recipe in The Soup Sisters and Broth Brothers Cookbook
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Your shopping list:1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1 medium onion (yellow or white), finely chopped
1 cup diced celery
1 sweet pepper, diced (I used yellow)
1/2 cup green onions
4 cloves garlic, minced
zest and juice of half of a lemon
2 cups of water
28oz can of diced tomatoes, no salt added
4oz can of tomato sauce, no salt added
5.5oz can of tomato paste
2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tsp ground pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 bay leaves
1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 lb scallops (or add more shrimp)
a handful of chopped parsley for garnish
Optional - cooked quinoa or brown rice
What to do with it:
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat until it's shimmering.
- Add flour and stir constantly until the roux is the colour of peanut butter.
- Add yellow onions, celery and pepper to the pot and cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened.
- Reduce heat to medium and add green onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until everything has softened (approx 15 minutes)
- Add lemon rind and juice to the pot along with water, tomato ingredients, worchestershire sauce, and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 50 minutes (stir occasionally).
- Remove bay leaves and add shrimp and scallops
- Simmer, uncovered for about 10 minutes
- Serve with cooked quinoa and a sprinkle of parsley!