Friday 22 November 2013

Where There's a Fish, There's a Dish!


If you haven't already figured it out, I'm a huge fan of quinoa. I'm such a fan, I can't remember the last time that I used rice as a side dish.

After a busy weekend visiting family and then having my first rehearsal, I didn't have time to think ahead to Monday's dinner. I took some rainbow trout out of the freezer and hoped I'd find inspiration by the time I was home from work.


Searching "rainbow trout recipes" doesn't give much that seems appetizing. To be honest, I don't really like fish at all. I eat it because it's something different, and it can be affordable when it's on sale. Of all fish, rainbow trout is the one I prefer. Of course, I like any fish that is battered and deep fried as well!

So, here's what I did with my rainbow trout:


Thai-naise Rainbow Trout with CocoThai Quinoa and Plain Jane Green Beans

inspired by Canadian Living

Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-20 minutes (because I like my fish overcooked!)

Your Shopping List:

3-4 rainbow trout fillets, washed and patted dry
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
2 tsp red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen)
salt & pepper, to taste
1 medium clove of garlic, minced
1 tbsp or so chopped fresh parsley (optional garnish)
1/2 lemon, cut into wedges (optional garnish - in hindsight, lime would likely be better with this

2 cups of quinoa, rinsed
1 14oz (414ml) can of coconut milk, unsweetened
1 1/3 cup of chicken broth, no sodium added
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sesame oil
1 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 cup (ish) cauliflower, broken into bite-sized pieces
2 green onions, white parts sliced
1 medium clove of garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp Sriracha sauce, or more!
1 lime, juiced

however many green beans you want to eat
olive oil, drizzled
salt & pepper, to taste


What to do with it:

Fish

  1. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, curry paste and garlic together. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
  2. Arrange trout on a baking sheet, in a single layer, skin side down.
  3. Place in oven and broil for 6 minutes, about 6 inches away from the top.
  4. If you prefer your fish to be well-cooked, leave it for 10 minutes.
  5. Realize you REALLY like it cooked and set your oven to 450 F. Remove after 5 additional minutes.


Quinoa

  1. In a medium saucepan, mix quinoa, coco milk, broth and salt together. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for approx 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. MEANWHILE - Heat sesame oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
  3. Add carrots and cauliflower, cook for about 5 minutes (really it's a matter of preference).
  4. Reduce heat slightly, add green onion, garlic, and sriracha. If you don't reduce the heat, the sriracha will burn and you will inhale the spicy fumes and choke. Yes, this happened to me.
  5. Set aside until quinoa is done.
  6. Realize the quinoa is not cooking well without a lid even though the recipe you're using tells you it works.
  7. Put lid on the pot, wait an additional 5-7 minutes. Quinoa is less mushy and more cooked.
  8. Remove from heat.
  9. Mix vegetables with quinoa and add the lime juice.


Green Beans

  1. Wash and trim green beans. I break off the ends.
  2. Put green beans in steamer basket and add a bit of water to the pot and put the lid on.
  3. Turn the element to high and set a timer for 10 minutes.
  4. Turn it to low when the water starts boiling.
  5. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and remove the lid. (Green beans keep cooking a bit after removing them from heat. If you prefer well-cooked beans, leave the lid on).

Plate your dinner, and garnish - if you so choose.


Fresh parsley from my garden!
Somehow it hasn't been killed by frostbite.



No comments:

Post a Comment